Sunday, May 16, 2010

Home:That's It

Home!
We arrived in Miami @ around 11pm last night & I did not know what I wanted to do first. Use the bathroom or take a shower. When Dave and I arrived @ the hotel, Dave got me a rum & coke with I-C-E! I did have ice about twice during the trip but this was the first time, I didn't feel paranoid while drinking it.

I did have one particularly overwhelming emotion as I said bye to each of my patients. Guilt. Yeah, I'm a nice American doctor who volunteered my time in rough conditions but is was only for 1 week. What I experienced for a week was a daily reality for my patients. Yes the fortunate ones live comfortable but they are a minority. Many have no place to go, and had hardly anything before the quake.

As I drove through PAP during the tour I was upset by the numerous tent settlements particularly adjacent to the palace. But was more upsetting was seeing "old" shack settlements which reminded me of what Haiti was before - now it was just worst.

1 comment:

  1. I think that guilt is even stronger for Haitian Americans. I think that we can only do what we can as trainees and as people who have soo much to do here at home. I think the plan is to continue to educate others about the experience so that that they too will consider volunteering a week of their time. A week sounds like nothing when you leave, but getting that time and getting over there is a big undertaking. You did a great thing going out there and you should be proud and less guilty. But most importantly we should all pray for Haiti and hope others will be as inspired as you including the Haitian people themselves!

    ReplyDelete