Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Helping Haiti Help Herself

Now that I finished this week now what?

First of all, I would definitely work in a field hospital/disaster setting again however it would not be a career choice.

Now, how will Haiti dig herself out of this hole?
What was very troubling to me was that the rubble from damaged buildings appeared to be in the same place they were the day of the quake. There did not appear to be significant active efforts to remove rubble. For the 3hrs that I drove around on Saturday, I saw a single group of eleven Haitian young men removing rubble. Yes I know it was a Saturday, but only one group? Honestly this would be a great opportunity to create jobs.

Another option to build the economy is using the major influx of foreigners as an opportunity to boost up tourism.

But yes I know you need infrastructure to support these things which Haiti does not have, but infrastructure starts somewhere?

The most disheartening part of it all, was that the tent cities did not appear as temporary settlements. They were reminiscent of the shantytowns in Soweto, South Africa and in scattered hillsides of outer Port-au-Prince. It seemed the impoverished were moved from shacks to tents which seems to be placing a slippery bandage on a cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment